|back to smack list||
Emma F22 - built circa 1850
... waiting her re-build
Vic Maynard, her current owner writes:-
Local knowledge and hearsay has her built at Haywards, Southend circa 1850 but originally being a clinker bawley, it could be earlier.
According to the last owners (Gregory's) she came to Faversham circa 1900 and they bought her in 1928.
Prior to that she was doubled at a yard at Conyer for 10 pounds along with another Faversham smack Mary Ann.
She passed from Frank Gregory to Jim Gregory who kept her till he died early 2009. He only de-registered her in 1995, according to records at Cardiff, so she had a long working life and was still used by Jim quite often after that date. .
|Crumbling planking indicates that some re-building work would be a 'good thing'|
Careful where you tread!
Seeing what needs to be done.
|Her new keel goes in|
|First riband at garboard|
|First frames going in and her new transom|
Planking finished. Stanchions and deck beams being fitted.
Her new engine in position.
Emma coming along well in the big shed at Hollowshore, Faversham
|Barry Tester caulking|
|Deck going on|
|Carving her details through a stencil|
Yes, she is only 25 foot long!
Roger Walker ~#~ 27 August 2009